Monday, September 19, 2011

Dr. Z's Clemson Review-Stink, Stank, Stunk

Coach Chizik likes to talk about "imposters" during a game, where he describes the ebbs and flows of momentum.

After re-watching the game, I can say without question Auburn played a pretty good role as imposters Saturday. Because the first quarter, we were just that.

I honestly could envision a huge blowout after the 90 yard drive to put AU up 21-7. Dyer was unstoppable. Trotter was getting pretty good protection and making accurate throws. The defense was forcing 3 and outs.

Then I am not usre what the heck happened. The defense reverted back to its (normal I guess) 2011 self. We could not tackle, DB's were out of place. No linebacker play (other than Darren Bates).

Offensively we had no continuity. It was a trainwreck, the Hindenberg, Hurricane Katrina, the Carter administration. Take your pick.

What transpired was 600+ yards of Clemson offense, half of which was after missed tackles.

I give Clemson credit, they battled back when they could have folded. The were the mentally tough team Saturday. Auburn was just plain mental.

Looking down the schedule, a defense that plays this way winds us up with 3 more wins...maybe. But I really don't see that being the case.

We all new that we'd lose a few games this year. The schedule is a murderer's row. We all should expect better, and I think in the coming weeks better is what we'll see. To get better, some leaders have to emerge. Whether it be Eltoro Freeman or Darren Bates or Nosa Egua, someone has to take charge on the defensive side of the ball. I don't mean a rah-rah guy. I mean a guy who steps up and makes a big play. That sort of thing is contagious. See last year with Nick Fairley v. LSU or Josh Bynes v. Arkansas

I think we have that guy on offense, but he needs more touches. I think we can all agree, 16 carries was not enough for Mike Dyer. He should ( and I suspect will) be getting 25-30 a game. Tre Mason looked a little doe-eyed in his first road game. That will improve in two weeks, but he should be there to spell Dyer right now, and that is about it in my humble opinion.

It's a long season, and there is no reason to fret. This Saturday, we get to take our frustrations out on a former Bammer in Schnelly. If you're still feeling low, this video should help. Nothing cheers me up like a dancing toddler.


No comments:

Post a Comment