Friday, September 10, 2010

17-14. Put that in your cowbell and smoke it.


Welcome to the Show Mr. Blake

Raise your hand if you thought Auburn would score 17 first half points. (mine's up) Now raise your other hand if you thought we'd be shut out in the 2nd. Yeah, me neither.

Like many of you, I am torn between a pretty good defensive performance at times and at other times a shoddy offensive one. I am particularly curious about the Gus Bus moving so slowly. To reiterate what Rob said, I have a hard time understanding why we took so long to get plays in from the sideline. I never thought I'd be saying "Snap the ball" as the playclock ticked down in a Gus Malzahn offense. We burned two timeouts on one drive, quite Mike Shula-esque if you ask me. I almost got the feeling Gus didn't trust Cam to make throws downfield. He made one bad read on the interception. The rest of the time I'd say he looked pretty sharp.

Defensively, Nick Fairley was wreckin fools (obligatory white guy trying to talk street). The front four was pretty good all night and the linebackers are playing pretty well at this point. It's also nice to see that Savage and Etheridge found the W/D 40 to get the rust out. I thought both played pretty well.

That being said, I'd like to see Neiko Thorpe play a little better. He and Demond Washington had trouble getting off blocks. And Mississippi State receivers were open a lot. Fortunately Featherstone from the Texas St. Armadillos must be the WR coach at State. Either that or Greg Knox is helping coach receivers at State along with the running backs.

All in all, it's a SEC road win against a team that will beat some people because they play solid defense and can score points. I'll take it. Now bring on Clemson....

1 comment: